13 UN hostages freed in South Sudan

2015-11-02 12:16
iStcok

iStcok

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Juba - Thirteen United Nations workers in South Sudan kidnapped by rebels have been safely freed a week after their abduction, the UN said on Monday.

Around 100 rebel fighters, who have been battling the government for almost two years, seized 31 members of the UN peacekeeping mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) last week.

While 18 Bangladeshi peacekeepers were freed soon after they were held, the 13 remaining UN workers - all South Sudanese nationals - were released by the rebels on Sunday, UNMISS said Monday.

The UN had last week said only 12 were still being held. However, it said 13 were released on Sunday.

All were on a river barge carrying fuel for the UN mission. While the barge was also released, the UN said that rebels had stolen the 55 000 litres of fuel it was carrying, as well as communications equipment, an inflatable boat, and seven weapons.

War crime

The UN chief in South Sudan Ellen Margrethe Loj said she was "relieved by the safe release of all UN personnel."

She had previously warned that the kidnap "may constitute a war crime".

The UN had last week said only 12 hostages were still being held. However, it said 13 were released on Sunday.

At least 12 500 peacekeepers are deployed in South Sudan, which has been wracked by conflict since December 2013.

Tens of thousands of people have been killed, and UN-backed experts have warned of the "concrete risk of famine" before the end of the year, if fighting continues and aid does not reach the hardest hit areas.

Both sides are accused of having perpetrated ethnic massacres, recruited and killed children and carried out widespread rape, torture and forced displacement of populations to "cleanse" areas of their opponents.

At least 3.9 million people are in crisis - a third of the country's population - a massive 80% rise compared to the same period last year, the UN said.

The army and rebels have repeatedly accused each other of breaking an internationally-brokered August 26 ceasefire, the eighth such agreement aimed at ending the nearly two-year long war.

Read more on:    un  |  south sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.