2 guards, 3 staff among Mali siege hotel dead - CEO

2015-11-25 08:59
File: AFP

File: AFP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Bamako - Two armed guards and three employees, all locals, were among the 20 victims of a jihadist attack on a Mali hotel last week, the chief executive of the hotel's owners said on Tuesday.

"We have lost three staff members and two members of our security service," said Wolfgang Neumann, CEO of the Rezidor Hotel Group, which owns the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako.

There had been three armed guards on duty on the morning of the siege, he told a press conference.

Fourteen other fatalities in the November 20 siege were foreigners: six Russians, three Chinese, two Belgians, an American, an Israeli and a Senegalese.

In addition to the five victims who were working in the hotel, a Mali police officer also died.

Victims’s bodies

The two assailants, of unknown nationality, were also killed after Malian and international troops stormed the building.

The victims' bodies remain in Bamako due to the ongoing enquiry.

Neumann visited grieving families and some of those injured in the attack and also met with Malian President Boubacar Keita.

"The terrorists won't win, we are going to quickly reopen the hotel," Neumann promised.

Around 100 of the hotel's employees gathered at the entrance to the building on Tuesday to pay tribute to the victims.

Flowers have been placed outside, including a wreath draped with the national flag and bearing a message from a local association reading: "Homage to the victims of Radisson Blu. May God welcome you in his infinite mercy".

Possible accomplice

Gunmen had entered the 190-room hotel compound in Bamako at around 0700 GMT on Friday in a car with diplomatic plates.

According to the Rezidor group, 170 guests and staff were initially trapped inside.

US special forces helped rescue at least six Americans from the hotel, while French paramilitary police specialised in hostage situations were also in Mali to assist.

Two separate jihadist groups have claimed responsibility for the assault, and investigators are searching for possible accomplices.

The attack followed a siege in August lasting almost 24 hours at a hotel in the central town of Sevare in which five UN workers were killed, along with four soldiers and four attackers.

Five people, including a French citizen and a Belgian, were also killed in an attack at a restaurant in Bamako in March, in the first such incident in the capital.

Read more on:    mali  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.