2 killed as Burundi forces search for weapons

2015-11-09 13:46
File: AFP

File: AFP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nairobi - At least two people were killed and a policeman wounded in gun battles in Burundi's capital, police and witnesses said on Monday, as security forces searched opposition strongholds for weapons.

Ahead of the UN Security Council talks on Burundi's worsening violence later on Monday, a senior police officer said "armed criminals" wounded an officer when they hurled a grenade at a patrol in the capital Bujumbura, in the flashpoint opposition district of Musaga.

"Two people, including a student who came out of his house, were killed by the officers firing in all directions," a witness said, who asked not to be named. Two other witness confirmed the account.

Burundi has suffered a dramatic rise in killings, arrests and detentions since President Pierre Nkurunziza launched a controversial bid to stand for a third term in April.

The clashes came on the second day of a huge security operation launched after a government weapons amnesty ended on Saturday night. Hundreds of police and soldiers have entered opposition districts searching for weapons.

Deteriorating situation

The operation - a widely feared crackdown on "enemies of the nation" - has raised international alarm over fears it could unleash further bloodletting in a country still recovering from a 13-year civil war that ended in 2006.

While gunmen executed nine people in an attack on a bar late on Saturday, hours before the amnesty ended, Bujumbura was reportedly largely quiet overnight on Sunday.

Officers on Sunday displayed around a dozen rifles and grenades they said had been seized in the ongoing raids.

Many residents living in parts of Bujumbura considered opposition strongholds have fled the capital, nearly emptying districts that have seen some of the worst violence in recent months.

In Bujumbura's Mutakura district "the night was very quiet," one resident said, but added that those "who are left behind are afraid because the area is totally empty."

The UN Security Council is due to meet on Monday to discuss the deteriorating situation.

But Burundi's government has dismissed concerns over its deadline to hand in illegal weapons, saying it wanted only to crush "terrorism".

At least 200 people have died in the turmoil and some 200 000 have fled the country since April.

Read more on:    un  |  pierre nkurunziza  |  burundi  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.