3 die in eastern DRC

2013-08-25 10:06


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Goma - Shells fired by M23 rebels killed at least three people in Congo's eastern city of Goma on Saturday, the United Nations said, as Congo and Rwanda traded accusations over days of border clashes that have drawn in a new, robustly mandated UN force.

Two more civilians died during demonstrations that broke out in the wake of the shelling, the United Nations said.

Fighting between M23 and Congolese soldiers, after the rebels entered a security zone around Goma on Wednesday, has now killed at least seven civilians. On Thursday, a UN brigade formed to neutralise armed groups in Congo saw its first military action, firing artillery at the rebels.

Artillery fire has hit both sides of the border this week.

Rwanda twice invaded its much larger neighbour in the 1990s and sponsored Congolese rebels trying to topple the Kinshasa government. Millions have died since then in Congo's eastern borderlands, a patchwork of rebel and militia fiefdoms rich in tin as well as tungsten and coltan ores.

UN investigators have accused Rwanda of backing M23, an accusation Kigali has repeatedly rejected.

Rebels deny responsibility

Congo's UN mission, MONUSCO, said two mortar bombs fired by M23 struck the Ndosho neighbourhood of Goma - a city of 1 million people - on Saturday morning, killing three civilians and injuring several others.

A Reuters witness at the scene saw four bodies - a woman and three children.

"I have ordered the MONUSCO Force to react in the strongest terms possible to these horrifying and unqualifiable crimes," said Martin Kobler, head of the UN mission, which pledged last month to keep M23 out of range of Goma.

The rebels marched past peacekeepers to seize Goma briefly last year - an embarrassment for the United Nations that led to the creation of the 3 000-member Intervention Brigade, made up of South African, Tanzanian and Malawian troops. M23 denied responsibility for Saturday's mortar attack.

"(The army) is doing this because it wants to draw MONUSCO into the combat on its side," M23 spokesperson Amani Kabasha said.

Read more on:    drc  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.