50 000 flee Boko Haram attacks in Niger

2016-06-07 16:38
A Nigerien soldier walks near a piece of wreckage from a suicide bomber's motor vehicle in an army base in Agadez, northern. (Boureima Hama, AFP)

A Nigerien soldier walks near a piece of wreckage from a suicide bomber's motor vehicle in an army base in Agadez, northern. (Boureima Hama, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Niamey - About 50 000 people have fled a town in Niger's troubled southeast after deadly attacks by Boko Haram insurgents, the United Nations said on Tuesday.

The attacks began Friday against a military post in Bosso in Niger's Diffa region, killing 26 soldiers including two from neighbouring Nigeria.

"An estimated 50 000 people or so fled," UN refugee agency (UNHCR) spokesperson Adrian Edwards told reporters in Geneva.

A total of 55 insurgents from the Nigeria-based Islamist group were killed and "many" injured, according to authorities.

Edwards said most of those fleeing the violence walked westwards to Toumour, around 30km west of Bosso.

"Many people are reportedly traumatised and worried about their safety. People are sleeping in the open and urgently need shelter and other assistance," he said.

A local journalist working with Radio Anfani told AFP he was sheltering in Toumour with no food, along with many others who fled the violence.

"The Boko Haram gunmen stayed in Bosso from 18:30 (17:30 GMT) on Friday to 03:00 on Saturday, burning the military barracks, police facilities and local administration office before looting shops and carting away food supplies," he said.

"Everybody started leaving the town and surrounding villages at dawn after the gunmen had left."

He said that the gunmen used heavy artillery which allowed them to overrun the town's garrison.

'Boko Haram in control'

"They came in large numbers shouting 'Allahu Akbar' [God is Greatest]," he said.

The journalist, who declined to be named, said that he subsequently learned that the fighters returned later on Sunday and "engaged troops redeployed to the town in fierce battle".

"The troops retreated, leaving Boko Haram militants in control of the town," he said, although the claims could not immediately be verified.

However, Niger's defence minister Assoumana Malam Issa has said that the military had regained control of the town.

Edwards said some of those displaced had moved on from Toumour and were heading to the town of Diffa, around 140km west of Bosso, and northwards towards a camp for internally displaced people that is already nearing its maximum capacity of 10 000.

"The welfare of these people and others forced to flee the violence in Bosso is of great concern," he said.

18 months

The latest attack was among the deadliest by the jihadist group in Niger since it began launching raids in the country in February 2015 from its stronghold in neighbouring Nigeria.

At least 240 000 people have been displaced in the Diffa region since then.

UNHCR, which has not had a presence in Bosso since the Boko Haram raids began nearly a year and a half ago, said it was working with the authorities and local partners to co-ordinate the response to the mass exodus.

"A team will be en route to the Diffa region this week," Edwards said.

Boko Haram's seven-year insurgency has devastated infrastructure in Nigeria's impoverished northeast and forced around 2.1 million people in the country to flee their homes, according to UNHCR.

The unrest has left at least 20 000 people dead in Nigeria and made more than 2.6 million homeless.

Read more on:    unhcr  |  boko haram  |  niger  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.