Africa steps up Ebola fight with $28.5m fund

2014-11-08 19:08

(Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Addis Ababa - The African Union raised $28.5m on Saturday from the continent's wealthiest individuals and firms for a fund to fight the Ebola outbreak ravaging three west African nations.

AU officials and business executives gathered in the Ethiopian capital to launch the emergency response fund said the money committed would be disbursed immediately.

"Our immediate concern is to respond to the appeal for 1 000 health care workers," Strive Masiyiwa, chairperson of Econet Wireless, an African telecom operator, told reporters.

"We have also received considerable contributions in kind, which may well ... exceed what we have received in cash."

Ebola has killed 4 950 people of the 13 241 infected since the outbreak started earlier this year, according to the World Health Organisation, mostly in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea.

While countries from the United States to China and Cuba have deployed resources and health personnel in a UN-led aid surge, fast-growing African states and institutions have faced questions about the level and speed of their own contributions.

Foreign firms

The African Union and the African Development Bank will guide the legal set-up of the new fund, which will be administered by a board of trustees drawn from corporate Africa.

Givers to the fund also include foreign firms that do business in Africa, Masiyiwa said.

At the meeting, African telecom firms also agreed an initiative to provide a platform for their customers to give at least a dollar each, with the potential of reaching 700 million mobile phone users, he added.

The platform, which will use one short code across all networks, is expected to be ready early next month.

Mustapha Sidiki Kaloko, the African Union's Commissioner for Social Affairs, said the priority was to secure transport for the 1 000 extra health workers required.

"If somebody could help us with the transportation of the workers to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea ... that would be very, very helpful to us," Kaloko told Reuters after the meeting.

The commissioner said they had 103 health workers on the ground but the number could go up to 2 000 by the end of December.

Read more on:    au  |  who  |  ebola  |  health  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
15 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.