Al-Shabaab claim Kenya attack

2015-03-18 20:28
Hundreds of newly trained al-Shabaab fighters perform military exercises in the Lafofe area some 18km south of Mogadishu, in Somalia. (Farah Abdi Warsameh, AP/File)

Hundreds of newly trained al-Shabaab fighters perform military exercises in the Lafofe area some 18km south of Mogadishu, in Somalia. (Farah Abdi Warsameh, AP/File)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nairobi - Somalia's al-Shabaab Islamic extremists claimed responsibility Wednesday for an attack that killed four people in Kenya's volatile northern region, bringing to 12 the number of those killed by the militants since Friday.

Kenyan officials said that four people were shot dead in a shop and their bodies burned in Wajir town on Tuesday night by unknown gunmen who wounded three others. Kenyan Interior Minister Joseph Nkaissery said the motive is unclear and the attackers are not known. But al-Shabaab through its radio station in Somalia said they were responsible.

"The attack is part of a series of attacks targeting the Northern Frontier District region under Kenya's occupation," said al-Shabaab's radio Andulus."The Mujahideen forces who carried out the attack safely returned to base." Kenya's northern and eastern region border Somalia and a significant number of inhabitants there are Kenyan-Somalis.

Al-Shabaab has been attacking Kenya since Kenyan troops were deployed to Somalia in Oct 2011 to fight the militants.

Police statistics show that 312 people have been killed in al-Shabaab attacks in Kenya from 2012 to 2014.

On Sunday four people believed to be non-Muslims were killed in an attack by gunmen suspected to be al-Shabaab militants in Mandera town. On Friday the militants claimed responsibility for attacking the convoy of Mandera County Governor Ali Roba in which four people died.

Al-Shabaab carried out large-scale attacks in Mandera last year. The militants hijacked a bus and singled out 28 non-Muslims forcing them to lie on the ground before shooting them dead. Ten days later the 36 non-Muslim quarry workers were killed by the extremists.

On Wednesday four men - one Kenyan and three Somalis - were charged in a court in Nairobi with the killings of quarry workers.

Read more on:    al-shabaab  |  kenya  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
3 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.