Americans detained in Angola

2012-02-02 18:21

Luanda - Two American music promoters were detained for fraud in Angola after US rap star Nas failed to pitch up for a New Year's concert, their business partner's lawyer said on Thursday.

Patrick Allocco and his son are being held responsible after Nas didn't perform though he was paid up front, said Joao Barros, who represents their long-time Angolan business partner Henrique Miguel.

They were detained and released in January, but are awaiting trial for fraud, Barros said.

"My client did his part in paying around $300 000," Barros told AFP, likening the Alloccos to "an organisation of anarchists".

"Everything was ready for the concert, but the day of the event the rapper wasn't there."

Miguel claims the Alloccos refused to reimburse the money.

"They preferred leaving Angola without his [Miguel's] knowledge, which is why he had them arrested by the police, and laid a case against them to be reimbursed," said Barros.

US State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said on Wednesday the Alloccos had been refused refuge at the embassy in Luanda.

Refugee criteria

"We did not find, in this case, that Mr Allocco met the criteria for refuge. However, we did bring him into the embassy temporarily. My understanding is we gave him some clothes and some medicine," Nuland told a news conference.

Nuland, however, said that the failed concert was not the reason for the refuge request.

"There were other circumstances that led to this."

In a video posted to video-sharing website YouTube on January 31, Allocco claims he was abducted with his son, also Patrick, after Nas didn't perform at a New Year concert.

"When he failed to show up for the concert, my son and I were abducted at gunpoint and interrogated for nearly seven hours."

"Since then, Nas has returned the monies but my son and I remain as hostages of the Republic of Angola. We have been falsely accused of crimes."

A Luanda court will rule on the matter later this month, Barros said.

"The Alloccos cannot leave Angola before this matter has been cleared up, which I call a pure scam on their part."

Read more on:    nas  |  angola  |  southern africa  |  music

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
2 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.