Assassination bid plotted in Dakar - Conde

2011-09-11 17:43

Dakar - Guinean President Alpha Conde said on Sunday that a failed assassination attempt against him in July had been prepared in Dakar, with the knowledge of the Senegalese and Gambian governments.

Conde named three people who he said had met in a Dakar hotel to plan a rocket attack on his private home in which one of his guards was killed.

"Everything was prepared in Dakar," said Conde, accusing Amadou Bah Oury, number two in the main opposition Guinean Union of Democratic Forces of being one of those involved.

"We know very well that he [Bah Oury] was one of the main organisers. I didn't want to arrest him before an arrest warrant was prepared, which allowed him to flee abroad," said Conde.

He said he had told the Senegalese and Gambian foreign ministers "that things were being planned in a hotel in Dakar and there are comings and goings in Gambia and that I don't think this was happening behind their backs".

"I think there is complicity by the Senegalese government and the Gambian government, even if they say they weren't being vigilant."

He also named Tibou Camara, former secretary general in the Guinean presidency who is "always in Gambia" as being among those involved in the plot.

Camara's wife is related to the Gambian first lady Zineb Jammeh, according to the former minister's entourage in Guinea.

Conde said businessman Amadou Oury Diallo, known as "Sadaka", who was an ally of the leader of the Guinean transition government in 2010, Sekouba Konate, had also been involved.

All three men are currently out of the country.

About 40 army officers were arrested after rogue soldiers attacked Conde's home just seven months after Guinea held its first democratic elections.