At least 20 shot dead by suspected Islamists in NE Nigeria

2015-10-22 09:39
File: AFP

File: AFP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kano - Twenty people were shot dead by suspected Boko Haram gunmen on Wednesday on a road outside a village in Nigeria's northeast Borno state, local sources said.

A large group of Boko Haram gunmen fleeing a military offensive on their camp in Nganzai district opened fire on four cars just outside Jingalta village, 70km north of Maiduguri, killing all 20 passengers inside, a vigilante and a villager said.

"We received information of an attack by Boko Haram gunmen on four cars near Jingalta village where they shot dead all 20 occupants of the vehicles before setting the cars ablaze," Babakura Kolo, a member of a local vigilante group assisting the military in fighting the Islamist sect in Maiduguri, told AFP.

"The gunmen were fleeing a military operation against one of their enclaves in the area around 09:30 when they came across the vehicles on the highway and opened fire on them," Kolo said.

The gunmen, who were driving pick-up trucks and motorcycles, then looted and burnt the entire village whose residents had already fled following the attack, he added.

Jibir Hassan, a commercial bus driver who arrived at the scene after the gunmen had fled, confirmed the death toll.

Radical movement

"When we arrived at Jingalta village, we found it smouldering, with everything completely burnt and just outside the village we saw bodies sprawled by the roadside, 20 of them in all," Hassan told AFP.

"Near the bodies were charred remains of four cars, still smouldering," said Hassan, who was travelling to the state capital Maiduguri from Monguno town, 80km from Jingalta.

Boko Haram gunmen regularly kill travellers they come across and raid villages while fleeing military offensives against their bases in the area, he said.

On Monday Boko Haram gunmen killed five travellers and injured another in nearby Mile 40 village, according to Hassan.

And last week, suicide bombers slew dozens of people in attacks on Maiduguri, where the radical movement first emerged.

The insurgency has claimed at least 17 000 lives since 2009.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, who made the struggle against Boko Haram a priority as soon as he took up office in May, has given the armed forces until the end of the year to crush the Islamist movement.

Last week Wednesday, Buhari said the military was "well-positioned to meet the December deadline which they have been given".

Campaigns by the armies of the region since the beginning of 2015 have taken back most of the territory held by the insurgents.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.