News24

Attack on Guinean president repelled

2011-07-19 13:21

Conakry - Heavily armed assailants attacked the residence of Guinean President Alpha Conde early on Tuesday, killing one person while Conde escaped injury and is safe, a presidency source and eyewitnesses said.

"The president was there, but he is safe and sound," said the presidency source, adding there had been substantial damage to the residence in a suburb of the capital Conakry from gunfire and rocket launchers.

Eyewitnesses said the attack took place at Conde's personal residence at around 01:30. Conde's personal guard repelled the attack, which left the building riddled with bullet holes. The main gate had been blown out with a rocket-launcher.

Neither the presidential source nor a second source close to the presidency said they had any information on who the attackers were. There was no information on the identity of the person killed in the attack.

Conde came to power in the world's largest exporter of the aluminium ore bauxite last December in what was the first free election in the West African country since independence from France half a century before.

The country had been ruled by a military junta since the death of longtime leader Lansana Conte in 2008.