Ban condemns Guinea-Bissau violence
New York – The UN chief Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday condemned the violence in Guinea-Bissau, where authorities said renegade troops had mounted a failed coup, and called for a full inquiry.
"The secretary-general condemns the use of force to settle differences in Guinea-Bissau," Ban's spokesperson Martin Nesirky said, urging respect for the "lawful" civilian authorities.
"The secretary-general also encourages the authorities of Guinea-Bissau to respect due process in the investigation of the reported events."
At least one soldier was killed and two others wounded as troops in the West African nation clashed with renegade forces overnight following an alleged failed coup, an army officer said.
Soldiers deployed in the streets of the capital Bissau on Monday, some of them demanding better pay, after attacking the headquarters of general staff and seizing weapons from a gun shop.
The head of the armed forces said navy chief Rear Admiral Jose Americo Bubo Na Tchuto, who has previously been accused of involvement in coup plans and in the drugs trade, was arrested over what he described as a coup attempt.