Body not of missing ICC witness - tests

2015-01-22 20:39
Deputy President William Ruto. (AFP)

Deputy President William Ruto. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nairobi - DNA tests on a body retrieved from a river in western Kenya show that it is not that of a missing International Criminal Court witness, a Kenya police official said on Thursday

The results indicate the remains were not of Meshack Yebei, said John Kariuki, a criminal investigation officer.

The family is waiting for results of an independent DNA test, said Yebei's brother, Rev. Moses Kisorio. He said 15 family members had positively identified the body as that of Yebei.

Police said the body belonged to Yusuf Hussien, and his family buried the body despite a court order stopping its release until results of a second DNA test are available, said human rights activist Ken Wafula said.

Yebei, who went missing on 28 December, was a defence witness in Kenya's Deputy President William Ruto's trial, according to Ruto's lawyer. Ruto and radio journalist Joshua Sang are on trial for crimes against humanity for the 2007-08 post-election violence that killed more than 1 000 people.

The ICC has said Yebei was not a prosecution witness in Ruto's trial, but the court offered him safe residency. Yebei instead went back to his hometown, it said.

After his disappearance, Yebei's mother received a text message purporting to be from her son saying that he was safe in Uganda with ICC officials, local media reported. The court said its officials had not been in contact with Yebei at the time of his abduction.

Yebei had been contacted during the course of investigations for the Ruto-Sang trial but he was ultimately not included in the witness list, because, among other reasons, there was information implicating him in a scheme to corrupt prosecution witnesses, the ICC prosecution said in a statement earlier this month.

The ICC dropped charges against four others, including Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta. The ICC's chief prosecutor cited a lack of sufficient evidence for the decision, which she attributed to intimidation of witnesses and the Kenyan government blocking her investigation.

The prosecution in Ruto's trial has also made accusations of bribery and witness intimidation.

Read more on:    international criminal court  |  meshack yebei  |  uhuru kenyatta  |  william ruto  |  kenya  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.