News24

Boko Haram threaten attack on telecom firms

2012-02-14 07:47

Maiduguri - A purported spokesperson for Nigeria's Boko Haram Islamists late on Monday threatened the group would soon launch attacks on mobile telephone firms for their alleged complicity with security agents.

In a phone conference with reporters in the north-eastern city of Maiduguri, a man who claimed to be Boko Haram spokesperson Abul Qaqa said the sect would "soon launch attacks" on mobile phone operators and state-run regulator Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

He accused them of complicity with security agents in bugging the phones of sect members to track them.

"We have realised that the mobile phone operators and the NCC have been assisting security agencies in tracking and arresting our members by bugging their lines and and enabling the security agents to locate the position of our members," he said.

Boko Haram has previously used similar conferences with journalists in Maiduguri, capital of Borno state, the group's base, to make public statements.

"It was with the connivance with the mobile phone companies operating in Nigeria and the NCC that the security agents were able to locate Abu Dardaa and Kabiru Sokoto and arrest them," Qaqa said in the local Hausa language.

Nigeria has five major mobile phone operators with a total subscriber base of around 90 million.

South Africa-based MTN is the largest mobile operator in Nigeria. Other operators include the United Arab Emirates' Etisalat and Indian-owned Airtel.

Deadliest attack

Early this month, security sources said they had arrested Abul Qaqa, but the Islamists rejected that claim, saying another senior Boko Haram member, Abu Dardaa, was the one in custody.

On Friday, Nigerian security agents re-arrested Kabiru Sokoto, a prominent sect member in a village in eastern Taraba state, four weeks after his escape from police custody in suspicious circumstances.

Sokoto is believed to be the mastermind of the Christmas day bombing of a church near Nigeria's capital Abuja that killed at least 44 people.

Boko Haram's deadliest attack yet occurred on January 20, when co-ordinated bombings and shootings killed at least 185 people in Nigeria's second-largest city of Kano.

The group also claimed responsibility for the August suicide bombing of the UN headquarters in Abuja that left at least 25 people dead.

It has in the past claimed to be fighting for an Islamic state in Nigeria's mainly Muslim north, but its demands have repeatedly shifted.

Comments
  • mabandla.magoqwana - 2012-02-14 09:20

    why the nigerians military don't go out in fully force to destroy these BOKOKO HARAMS . people are living in fear now coz of thhem.

  • pages:
  • 1