Burundi forces begin clearing barricades

2015-05-10 14:11
President Pierre Nkurunziza. (File, AFP)

President Pierre Nkurunziza. (File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Bujumbura - Burundi's security forces began clearing barricades in the capital Bujumbura on Sunday after the government ordered an immediate end to protests against President Pierre Nkurunziza's third term bid.

Protesters have pledged to continue weeks of street demonstrations, branding the order a "declaration of war".

On Sunday one man was shot, and later died, as police and soldiers used force to remove barricades erected in some city neighbourhoods, following the government order that all barriers must be dismantled within 48 hours.

Armed men

Police were deployed early on Sunday morning while some people were still sleeping and others were preparing to go to church. "They surprised us," said Claude, a 25-year old student protester.

"Even if they clear the barricades we will rebuild them. There has been a lot of gunfire and some wounded," he said.

"The military came to tell us that the roads were to be cleared and we could not resist armed men with guns. We decided to let it go," said Fabrice, a leader of the protest movement.

At least 19 people have died since Nkurunziza announced his intention to run for a third term in elections due next month, sparking weeks of angry demonstrations.

The latest confrontations between demonstrators and security forces came after a one day "truce" declared by protest leaders on Saturday allowed a semblance of normality to return to Bujumbura.

International pressure

In a decision issued on Saturday, the national security council demanded an "immediate and unconditional" end to what it said was an "insurgency" and ordered security forces to remove all barricades "within 48 hours, in Bujumbura and the rest of the country".

Protesters angrily dismissed the order.

The army has so far played a neutral role, often coming between stone-throwing protesters and police and is popular among protesters who believe it protects them from the police. But tensions have begun to appear in recent days.

The national security council declaration shows that the government does not intend to back down in the face of the protests, despite international pressure, while protest leaders also remain firm in their resolve to continue demonstrating, leaving little hope for a negotiated way out of the crisis.

Read more on:    pierre nkurunziza  |  burundi  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.