Burundi opposition reject election delay proposal

2015-06-09 13:37
A soldier runs from a house set on fire by protestors opposed to the Burundian president's bid to stand for a third term in Butagazwa, Mugongomanga. (Carl De Souza, AFP)

A soldier runs from a house set on fire by protestors opposed to the Burundian president's bid to stand for a third term in Butagazwa, Mugongomanga. (Carl De Souza, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Bujumbur - Burundi's opposition has rejected proposals for a new election timetable after weeks of protests at President Pierre Nkurunziza's third-term bid, saying conditions for holding fair polls were not met.

The electoral commission on Monday suggested postponing the presidential election until July 15. It also suggested delaying parliamentary elections until June 26, and senator elections to July 24.

Opposition leader Charles Nditije demanded the setting up of a new independent electoral commission (CENI), after two of its five members resigned and left the country.

"If things remain as they are, we consider that it will be a masquerade, a parody of elections," Nditije said.

He also called for the disarmament of the ruling party's youth wing, the Imbonerakure, who the United Nations say is a militia force and for Nkurunziza to end his third-term bid for power.

"We cannot hold elections now," Nditije told AFP late on Monday. "The conditions are not there, so elections cannot be credible and give acceptable results."

The parliamentary election had been scheduled to take place on June 5 but was postponed indefinitely on the eve of the vote, while the presidential vote was initially scheduled for June 26.

Around 40 people have died and scores more have been injured in protests that began when Nkurunziza announced in late April that he would stand again, after Burundi's constitutional court gave him the green light.

Nkurunziza's opponents say his candidacy is unconstitutional and goes against the 2006 Arusha peace deal that ended 13 years of civil war.

Nkurunziza survived a coup attempt last month and has since faced down international pressure, including aid cuts, aimed at forcing him to reconsider.

Nearly 100 000 Burundians have sought refuge in neighbouring countries.

Read more on:    pierre nkurunziza  |  burundi  |  burundi 2015 elections

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.