Burundi ruling party asks president to drop 3rd term quest

2015-03-26 19:50
President of Burundi, Pierre Nkurunziza. (Raveendran, AFP)

President of Burundi, Pierre Nkurunziza. (Raveendran, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Bujumbura - Dozens of senior officials in Burundi's ruling party have urged President Pierre Nkurunziza to abandon a quest for a third term this June to avoid renewed violence in the landlocked central African nation.

Some 79 members of the CNDD-FDD Party wrote to Nkurunziza on Monday, a spokesperson for the group said on Thursday, joining a rising chorus of critics saying he cannot run again under the terms of a 2000 deal to end years of fighting between Hutu and Tutsi ethnic groups.

The party responded by sacking 10 initial signatories, including Nkurunziza's spokesman, the party's spokesperson, three members of parliament and a provincial governor, newly-appointed CNDD-FDD spokesperson Gelase Ndabirabe said.

"The issue about a third term for the current president continues to raise tension and divide the Burundian people," Festus Ntanyungu, a lawmaker who spoke on behalf of 79 senior officials of Hutu CNDD-FDD, told Reuters.

Fragile peace

"For the sake of peace and to avoid violence, we asked ... Nkurunziza to drop any attempt for another third term."

Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwete said last week on a visit to Burundi that violating the legal limit on the president's term would spark violence that would be hard to stop.

Tanzania brokered the deal in 2000, which limited the president to two five-year terms in office and helped to end years of ethnic conflict in the tiny coffee growing nation of nearly 10 million people.

A visiting UN Security Council delegation two weeks ago also appealed for strict adherence to the constitution to consolidate the fragile peace in the country

Nkurunziza has not said if he will run, but supporters argue the former rebel leader can because he was selected by lawmakers rather than voted into office in 2005 for his first term.

Willy Nyamitwe, a top communication adviser in Nkurunziza's office, said there was no need for him to respond to the letter.

"The president can't give any answer to that letter, because he has never said that he will be a candidate," he said.

Read more on:    pierre nkurunziza  |  burundi  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.