CAR delays second round of voting

2011-02-21 22:28

Bangui - The Central African Republic issued a decree pushing back planned second round of parliamentary elections by a week to March 27, which the opposition plans to boycott.

The electoral campaign will take place from March 14-25 and final voting on March 27, said the decree received by AFP on Monday.

The original vote, set for March 20, was initially planned for and announced by the Independent Electoral Commission but it is President Francois Bozize who appoints the date by decree.

Last week a coalition of opposition groups and ex-rebels accused the president of falsifying last month's joint presidential and parliamentary elections, which saw him declared the victor with 64.37% of the vote.

Bozize's KnK party took 26 seats outright and has a lead in most of the rest of the 105 electoral districts.

The Collective Forces for Change (CFC), which includes former president Ange-Felix Patasse, said it will withdraw all its candidates "from this contest which is being conducted in flagrant violation of the electoral code".