CAR violence blocking aid effort - UN

2015-10-03 09:00
UN peacekeeping soldiers patrol in the Sango area, in Bangui in the Central African Republic. (File, AFP)

UN peacekeeping soldiers patrol in the Sango area, in Bangui in the Central African Republic. (File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New York - Ongoing clashes in the Central African Republic are preventing aid workers from helping more than 42 000 people who have fled their homes in the latest flare-up, the UN aid chief said on Friday.

UN Under-Secretary-General for humanitarian affairs Stephen O'Brien said he was "extremely alarmed" by the violence that erupted in the capital Bangui nearly a week ago, leaving at least 36 dead.

"Ongoing violence by armed groups is preventing humanitarian organisations from reaching more than 42 000 women, men and children who have fled for their lives in the past few days in the capital Bangui," he said in a statement.

O'Brien called for an end to the violence to allow aid workers to reach those in need and warned that blocking the humanitarian effort is a violation of international law.

"People who have fled for their lives need food, water, emergency shelter and health care services," he said.

The offices of several relief organisations were looted on Wednesday and some staff were forced to relocate for their own safety, but O'Brien said the aid groups were determined to stay.

Some 2.7 million people - more than half of the population - depend on humanitarian aid to survive in the Central African Republic, which has been struggling to recover from sectarian violence triggered by a 2013 coup.

The violence has driven more than 412 000 people from their homes.

The UN aid chief said the situation was "deteriorating" outside Bangui, with roaming bands of armed groups spreading panic.

The latest round of violence broke out on Saturday after a motorcycle taxi driver was murdered in the Muslim-majority PK-5 neighbourhood of Bangui.

PK-5 was the epicenter of an unprecedented wave of violence between Christians and Muslims in late 2013 and early last year. It remains the last bastion for Muslims hounded out of other districts by Christian militias.

O'Brien described the latest flare-up as a "huge setback" for the country, which was due to hold elections on October 18 that now appear likely to be postponed.

Read more on:    un  |  central african republic  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.