Cameroon frees German hostage

2015-01-21 20:17
Robert Nitsch Eberhard, a German citizen abducted and held hostage by suspected Boko Haram militants,  at the Yaounde Nsimalen International airport after his release in Yaoundé, Cameroon. (Moki Edwin Kindzeka, AP)

Robert Nitsch Eberhard, a German citizen abducted and held hostage by suspected Boko Haram militants, at the Yaounde Nsimalen International airport after his release in Yaoundé, Cameroon. (Moki Edwin Kindzeka, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Yaoundé - Cameroon said on Wednesday its forces have freed a German hostage kidnapped six months ago in Nigeria by Boko Haram, as African leaders appealed to the United Nations for support in fighting the Islamist militants.

"A special operation led by Cameroonian armed forces along with security services of friendly nations succeeded this night [Tuesday] in freeing Nitsch Eberhard Robert, a German citizen abducted in Nigeria in July 2014 by the Boko Haram sect," the Cameroon presidency said in a statement.

A spokesperson for the German foreign ministry confirmed the man's release, adding that he was now in Cameroon's capital Yaoundé.

No further details were immediately available about the hostage or the raid itself, including where it took place.

The release was announced a day after Boko Haram's leader Abubakar Shekau mocked African leaders who were meeting in Niger to try to forge a united front against the Islamists.

"African kings... I challenge you to attack me now. I am ready."

Boko Haram - which has been waging a brutal insurgency in Nigeria since 2009 - previously abducted foreigners in Nigeria and Cameroon, but all have since been released.

However, more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by the militants in April last year in one of the most shocking acts of their insurgency are still missing.

As news of the German's rescue emerged, the African Union announced it has asked the Security Council to approve a mandate for a regional force and a fund to help finance it.

"Boko Haram is a threat not only to Nigeria and the region, but also to the continent as a whole," AU head Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma said in a statement.

Regional efforts hamstrung

Nigeria's army has come under fire repeatedly for failing to crush the militants, whose insurgency has left 13 000 people dead and forced 1.5 million from their homes.

Boko Haram has also been stepping up attacks in Nigeria and neighbouring Cameroon, where it abducted dozens of people Sunday.

Niger said on Wednesday the headquarters of the regional African force set up to fight Boko Haram will now be transferred to Chad after its base in the Nigerian border town of Baga was overrun earlier this month by the Islamist militants.

Chad is seen as having the most capable military in the region and at the weekend sent a convoy of troops and 400 military vehicles into neighbouring Cameroon to battle Boko Haram.

Two Cameroonian soldiers were wounded in heavy clashes Tuesday with Boko Haram in the far north of Cameroon, which borders Nigeria.

"We managed to repel the enemy," a Cameroonian military commander told AFP on condition of anonymity. "We saw signs that made us think Boko Haram lost men."

Regional efforts to fight Boko Haram have been hampered by Nigeria's reticence, with Abuja looking suspiciously on any foreign military intervention on its soil.

I am Kolofata

"Nigeria feels it can take care of the problem itself, but [Boko Haram] is no longer just impacting Nigeria, it's an issue for the whole region," said an African diplomat based in Ethiopia's capital.

Nigeria and its neighbours held talks this week in Niger's capital Niamey on speeding up the creation of the force to fight the militants.

Anger against the militants is growing in Cameroon, with protesters hitting the capital's streets Wednesday with signs saying "Beat it Boko Haram," and "I am Kolofata," in reference to town that has suffered repeated attacks from Boko Haram.

The group's leader Shekau claimed responsibility for the assault on Baga in a video posted Tuesday which is thought to have killed hundreds and is considered the militants' deadliest attack.

In his 35-minute message Shekau said: "We will not stop. This is not much. You'll see."

Read more on:    boko haram  |  nitsch eberhard robert  |  niger  |  cameroon  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
8 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.