Congo opposition calls for boycott

2015-07-07 22:27
Denis Sassou Nguesso (File, AFP)

Denis Sassou Nguesso (File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Brazzaville - Congo Republic's opposition said on Tuesday it will boycott talks this week with the government over constitutional changes it fears are designed to allow President Denis Sassou Nguesso to serve a third term in the oil-rich central African nation.

Sassou Nguesso called the July 11-14 "national dialogue" to discuss reforms expected to include scrapping a two-term limit on presidents - a sensitive issue across Africa where a number of veteran leaders have triggered protests with plans to extend their time in office.

Sassou Nguesso, a 71-year-old former military commander, has not said publicly if he plans to seek a third seven-year term next year. He would also currently be barred by a ban on candidates older than 70.

Pascal Tsaty Mabiala, head of the main opposition party the Pan-african Union for Social Democracy (UPADS), said a coalition of opposition parties was against any changes to the constitution and had declined the invitation to talks.

"We will open talks only if the president says clearly and loudly that he is not a candidate for re-election in 2016 and will respect the term limits in the constitution," Tsaty Mabiala told Reuters by telephone.

The opposition leader also said he had been prevented by police on Monday from boarding a flight to France and informed that he was forbidden from leaving the country.

A government spokesperson was not immediately available for comment.

About 400 representatives of political groups, trade unions, ex-combatants, and traditional and religious authorities have been invited to take part in the talks, but the absence of FROCAD would be a blow to efforts to forge a national consensus.

Sassou Nguesso ruled the former French colony from 1979 to 1992, and took power again in 1997 at the end of a civil war before winning disputed polls in 2002 and 2009.

Congo is on track to leapfrog Equatorial Guinea to become sub-Saharan Africa's third-largest crude producer by 2017. Half its 4.5 million population lives in poverty, according to the World Bank.

Read more on:    denis sassou nguesso  |  congo  |  central africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.