Congo referendum should be annulled due to low turnout - opposition

2015-10-26 22:02
Denis Sassou Nguesso (File, AFP)

Denis Sassou Nguesso (File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Brazzaville - A referendum held in Congo Republic to decide whether the president can legally stand for a third consecutive term should be cancelled due to low turnout, a senior opposition leader said on Monday.

An opposition boycott of Sunday's plebiscite means the country's veteran ruler, President Denis Sassou Nguesso, is likely to have won voters' support, paving the way for him to run in an election next year and potentially extend his decades-long rule over the oil-producing central African country.

"It (the turnout) totally discredits the referendum. Either they annul it or else he will impose a dictatorship and the Congolese will not accept it," said opposition leader Pascal Tsaty Mabiala, secretary of the Pan-African Union for Social Democracy party.

"The smart thing would be to annul the referendum," he told Reuters by telephone.

Witnesses said logistical problems had hampered voting in the capital Brazzaville on Sunday morning but that turnout picked up later in the day. There was little information about the rest of the country.

They said vote counting was proceeding smoothly on Monday. Results would be announced on Wednesday at the latest, a government spokesman told journalists.

"We are satisfied to see that the poll was conducted in security. That permitted all residents of Brazzaville to have the chance to go to their polling stations and express their choice without worries," Pierre Cebert Ibocko Onanga, prefect of the city, told reporters.

Sassou Nguesso ruled Congo from 1979 until 1992, when he was defeated in a presidential election. His rule resumed five years later after his forces defeated the then-president in a brief civil war.

He won presidential elections in 2002 and 2009, both marred by accusations of fraud. Term limits as well as his age bar the 71-year-old leader from running again under the current constitution.

Sassou Nguesso is the latest African president to try to prolong his grip on power by changing the constitution. Several such initiatives have provoked violence, and four died in Congo last week when security forces opened fire on protesters.

Last October, Burkina Faso's leader of 27 years was toppled by protests and in July the president of Burundi won a third term amid violent protests. Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo have also sought constitutional change. (Additional reporting and writing by Matthew Mpoke Bigg; editing by John Stonestreet)

Read more on:    denis sassou nguesso  |  republic of congo  |  central africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.