Court: Mubarak, aides ordered killing
Cairo - The prosecution in the Hosni Mubarak trial says it has concluded that Egypt's ousted president, his security chief and six top police officers were the "actual instigators" of the killing of more than 800 protesters during last year's popular uprising that brought down his regime.
Mubarak and his seven co-defendants are facing charges of complicity in the killings and could face the death penalty if convicted.
Chief prosecutor Mustafa Suleiman said in Wednesday's hearing the defendants clearly authorised the use of live ammunition and a shoot-to-kill policy against peaceful protesters.
Suleiman said the prosecution had to launch its own probe, interviewing hundreds of witnesses, physicians and police officers to build its case, after security authorities ignored their requests for help in the inquiry.