DRC condemns attack on lawmaker in Paris

2012-01-01 22:00

Kinshasa - The DRC government Sunday condemned an attack on the country's Senate chief in Paris allegedly by supporters of President Joseph Kabila's rival and called in France's envoy to explain the incident.

France condemned the attack and said police were investigating.

The 76-year-old senator, Leon Kengo, was attacked at the Gare du Nord train station on Saturday "by bands of those who call themselves 'fighters' close to Etienne Tshisekedi", Communications Minister Lambert Mende told AFP.

Tshisekedi is a veteran opposition leader in the Democratic Republic of Congo and runner-up in the November 28 election but he has refused to recognise Kabila's victory and has proclaimed himself the country's leader.

According to initial reports, Kengo "had some teeth knocked out, was trampled underfoot, and rolled on the ground", Mende said, adding that the lawmaker had been hospitalised in north Paris.

"We protest in the strongest terms this attack perpetrated in France against Congolese officials in the view and knowledge of French authorities," said Mende, calling it "totally unacceptable".

He claimed that Kengo, who came in fourth in the presidential poll with 4.95% of the vote, was attacked because Tshisekedi supporters were angry that he had not withdrawn his candidacy, which may have prevented their leader from being elected.

The Congolese foreign minister called in the French ambassador "because this incident is very serious and worrying to the Congolese government", Mende said.

"We regret this attack," French foreign ministry spokesperson Bernard Valero told AFP.

"Security forces naturally came to his assistance as quickly as possible and French authorities ensured that he was admitted without delay to a Parisian hospital to be treated," Valero said.

"An investigation is underway," he added.

Kengo was one of the presidential candidates who had called for annulling the vote over fraud allegations. Several foreign countries and election observer missions also complained of irregularities in the vote.

Still Kengo was present at the swearing-in of Kabila to a second five-year term on December 20.

Read more on:    joseph kabila  |  etienne tshisekedi  |  drc  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
2 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.