Darfur yellow fever deaths double

2012-11-07 07:36
(Supplied)

(Supplied)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Khartoum - The number of people believed to have died from mosquito-borne yellow fever in Sudan's conflict-plagued Darfur region doubled to 67, health officials said on Tuesday.

A joint report from the health ministry and the World Health Organisation said: "As of 5 November 2012, 194 suspected cases have been reported, including 67 deaths."

Since the last week of September, cases have been reported from 17 districts in four of the Darfur states, but most of them are from Central Darfur state, the report said.

A week ago the health ministry said 84 suspected cases had been reported from two states during October and 32 of the patients had died.

Officials are awaiting results from a laboratory in Senegal to reconfirm the diagnosis as a first step towards beginning a vaccination programme possibly by early December.

There is no specific treatment for the viral illness found in tropical regions of Africa but it can be contained through the use of bed nets, insect repellents and long clothing.
"Vaccination is the single most important measure for preventing yellow fever," the WHO said.

A 2005 outbreak of the disease in Sudan's South Kordofan state caused 163 deaths out of 604 cases over about five months.

In January 2011, 35 people died of yellow fever in the Ivory Coast, the WHO said.





Read more on:    sudan  |  health  |  yellow fever  |  east africa

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/News
 

WATCH: W Cape govt responds to new SA road rules

The National Department of Transport has drafted a series of new road regulations. Siphesihle Dube, spokesperson for the Western Cape MEC of transport responds...

 

Stay safe

WATCH: W Cape govt responds to new SA road rules
SA's new road rules: What YOU say...
New SA road rules: 20km/h speed cuts
Takata air-bag saga: Honda hit hardest
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

It may be hard to be light and jovial at the moment as the list of obligations and jobs are growing and your energy levels are...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.