Death toll hits 117 after Nigeria bombings - medics

2015-09-23 06:35
<a href="">Shutterstock</a>


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Maiduguri - The death toll from a series of bomb blasts blamed on Boko Haram in Maiduguri in northeastern Nigeria has risen to at least 117, hospital sources said on Tuesday, more than twice the official tally.

A total of 72 dead were registered at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, while another 45 were taken to the mortuary at the Borno State Specialist Hospital, three medical staff said.

Borno state's capital has been hit repeatedly since President Muhammadu Buhari came to power on May 29, vowing to crush the insurgency.

But Sunday night's attacks were the deadliest so far.

Nigeria's military claims the Islamist militants are a spent force and that troops have driven them from their camps and occupied territory in the remote region.

But the blasts underlined the threat the group still poses with its guerrilla-style tactics against "soft" civilian targets.

Borno police on Monday said that 54 people died and 90 were injured in the bombings, which hit worshippers at a mosque, football fans watching a televised match and bystanders.

Locals disputed the figures, saying at least 85 died and that some people had taken loved ones killed in the blasts directly for burial rather than to hospitals.

"Sixty-nine dead bodies were brought here and three other people died while receiving treatment," an orthopaedic doctor at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital said on Tuesday.

"I am afraid that there are some victims with grievous injuries who may likely require referral to other specialised hospitals."

A mortuary worker at the hospital confirmed the tally.

"Some bereaved families have come and claimed the bodies of their loved ones but we still have many here," he said.

At the city's State Specialist Hospital, a senior nursing officer said 45 bodies were brought to the mortuary.

"Most of the bodies were unrecognisable because of the burns the victims sustained," he said.

"Most of the 43 people that died in the mosque were brought here."

More than 70 others who were injured were also brought for treatment, he added.

The sources requested anonymity as they were not authorised to speak to the media.

Read more on:    nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.