Docs still striking in Durban
Durban - More than a hundred public sector doctors converged outside the Nelson R Mandela Medical School in Durban on Tuesday in the second day of protest action.
The group were singing and demanding better wages, and warned of indefinite action if their demands were not met soon.
On Monday, public sector doctors had downed tools which affected several Durban hospitals.
Dr Bandile Hadebe, chairperson of the Junior Doctors Association of SA, was expected to address the striking doctors sometime before midday.
Police were monitoring the situation.
Other strike action called off
Meanwhile, doctors kept their word and called off strike action in the Eastern Cape and Gauteng on Tuesday morning, the provincial health departments said.
Gauteng health spokesperson Mandla Sidu said the department had not received any reports of striking doctors.
"The strike was called off yesterday [Monday] and nothing to the contrary has been reported to us so far."
The SA Medical Association, representing doctors, would meet government over the implementation of the Occupation Specific Dispensation (OSD) - a revised salary structure intended to improve the salaries of public sector workers - on Wednesday.
Eastern Cape health spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said there also no reports of striking doctors in the province.
"We are happy that they are all back at work as we had said to them no work, no pay," said Kupelo.