EMS dispute continues - MEC
Johannesburg - A dispute between the city of Johannesburg and emergency management services workers is still ongoing, Gauteng health MEC Qedani Mahlangu said on Thursday.
"There is still a dispute," Mahlangu said at a press briefing at the Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital in Johannesburg.
She said a meeting between the SA Municipal Workers Union and Johannesburg EMS management had taken place earlier this week.
She said she had been asked to intervene in the matter. "We are working to convene a meeting."
Mahlangu also commend the way Gauteng doctors handled themselves during the recent wage dispute. "I want to congratulate doctors in Gauteng who put the interest of their patients first."
At the press briefing, Mahlangu announced the creation of a task team that would help fix problems with the province's health services from July 1.
A six-month timeline was given to solve problems ranging from filling staff vacancies and the effective processing of patients, to ensuring regular supplies of equipment, drugs and clean linen.