Egypt attacks toll climbs to 40

2015-01-30 12:08

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Al-Arish - The death toll in a string of attacks targeting soldiers and police in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula has climbed to at least 40, a health official said Friday, prompting President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi to cut short a visit to Ethiopia.

An Islamic State affiliate formerly known as Ansar Beit al-Maqdis claimed responsibility for Thursday's co-ordinated attacks on military and police facilities in the north of the volatile province.

The dead included security personnel and civilians, Sinai health official Tareq Khater said, adding that at least 36 other people were wounded.

The provincial security headquarters, intelligence buildings and an army officers club as well as a newspaper office and army checkpoints were all hit by mortar fire and car bombs, security officials said.

Series of synchronised attacks

The militant group, which last year pledged allegiance to the jihadist Islamic State militia, claimed responsibility for the attacks - the deadliest blow to Egyptian security forces in years.

On a website used by the Islamic State for official announcements, the group said it had targeted an army base and a security compound in al-Arish, the capital city of northern Sinai, with three car bombs and "infiltrators."

The group, now calling itself the Sinai Province of Islamic State, also claimed to have hit eight checkpoints in al-Arish, the town of Rafah on the border with the Palestinian Gaza Strip, and elsewhere in the area.

In October, at least 30 Egyptian soldiers were killed in a series of synchronized attacks in northern Sinai.

Repeated attack

Al-Sisi's office said on Friday that he had decided to cut short a visit to Ethiopia, where he is attending an African Union summit, and return to Cairo to "follow the situation".

Security forces in the remote desert peninsula bordering Israel and Gaza have come under repeated attack from jihadists since the 2011 uprising that toppled long-time president Hosni Mubarak.

The extremists stepped up their attacks after the military ousted Islamist president Mohammed Morsi in 2013, killing scores of security forces.

Egyptian army has engaged in a series of campaigns since August 2011 to suppress the jihadists. In recent months, residents have been evacuated to create a kilometre-deep buffer zone along the Gaza border.

Read more on:    isis  |  mohammed morsi  |  abdel fattah al-sisi  |  hosni mubarak  |  egypt  |  north africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.