Egypt likely to call presidential poll first

2013-12-30 20:07
Image grab from Egyptian state TV. (Filer, AFP)

Image grab from Egyptian state TV. (Filer, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cairo - Egypt's government will likely call a presidential election ahead of parliamentary polls, two officials said on Monday, rearranging the political timetable in a way that could see army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi elected head of state by April.

Parliamentary elections were supposed to happen first under the roadmap unveiled after the army deposed Islamist President Mohamed Mursi in July.

But some secular-leaning political figures and other critics have campaigned for a change, saying the country needs an elected leader to direct government at a time of economic and political crisis and to forge a political alliance before a potentially divisive parliamentary election.

Political figures supportive of the change have lobbied interim head of state Adly Mansour during four recent meetings, said officials familiar with what was discussed.

"The force that attended the four meetings agreed, with a large percentage, to have the presidential elections first and that means that most likely the presidential elections will be first", said one of the officials.

Behind the coup

An army official added: "Presidential elections are most likely to be held first, as it seems to be the demand of most parties so far."

Sisi is widely seen as the leading candidate for the presidency, though he has yet to announce his candidacy.

The army chief is reviled by his Islamist opponents as the man behind what they describe as a coup against Egypt's first freely elected president.

Since Mursi's removal, the government has cracked down hard on Mursi's Muslim Brotherhood, which won five elections after the downfall of veteran autocrat Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

The government last week intensified pressure on the movement by declaring it a terrorist group, widening the scope for the crackdown.

The government decision followed a suicide attack on a police station that killed 16 people. The Brotherhood condemned the bombing, responsibility for which was claimed by a radical Islamist group called Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis.

Read more on:    abdel fattah al-sisi  |  egypt  |  north africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.