News24

Egypt security chief sacked after riots

2012-02-02 12:34

Cairo - The Egyptian government sacked the head of security in the northern city of Port Said after an explosion of football violence that left 74 people dead, state media reported Thursday.

Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim fired city security chief Essam Samak because of the rioting that erupted late on Wednesday seconds after the final whistle at a match between two rival teams, the MENA news agency reported.

The violence, one of the deadliest incidents in football's history, saw hundreds of supporters of Port Said team Al-Masri invade the pitch to attack fans of Cairo's Al-Ahly, including by hurling bottles and stones.

State television ran footage of riot police standing rigidly in rows as pandemonium erupted around them.

Ibrahim has said most of the deaths were caused by the crush but medics said some people were stabbed. Hundreds were also reported wounded.

Police said 47 people had been arrested.

Comments
  • Philip - 2012-02-02 14:06

    All of a sudden S.A doesnt seem that bad

  • pages:
  • 1