Egypt's battle against jihadists will be a long one: Sisi

2015-02-01 11:00
Abdel Fattah al-Sisi (File: AFP)

Abdel Fattah al-Sisi (File: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cairo - Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said on Saturday the battle against jihadist insurgents in the Sinai Peninsula would be a long and hard one, as violence there continues unabated.

His comments came as a Cairo court banned the armed wing of the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, declaring it a "terrorist" organisation after accusations it backs militant attacks in Sinai.

Sisi spoke following a meeting with his top brass two days after militants killed 30 people and wounded dozens in attacks, including a car bombing, in North Sinai.

Thursday's attacks were claimed by militants from Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, which has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State jihadist group.

And on Saturday an interior ministry employee was shot in the head in North Sinai's regional capital of El-Arish.

"The battle will be difficult, hard and hellish, and it will be long," Sisi said in remarks on state television.

Flanked by his top generals and occasionally raising his voice in anger, Sisi said "we will not abandon the Sinai to anyone."

He also announced the creation of a unified anti-terrorist military command, which military sources said would expand operations in Sinai and be allocated more weapons and troops.

Sisi also repeated accusations that the now-banned Muslim Brotherhood of deposed president Mohamed Morsi is behind the violence, a claim the group denies.

Late Saturday, security sources said the army fired on "a car driven by a suicide bomber and blew it up as it approached a military checkpoint" in Sheikh Zuweid, east of El-Arish.

The sources also reported clashes between soldiers and gunmen south of Rafah, on the border with the Palestinian Gaza Strip.

The report came hours after an Egyptian court ruled on a complaint from a lawyer that Hamas's Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades was directly involved in "terrorist operations" in the Sinai.

A court official said the lawyer also accused the movement of using tunnels under the common border to smuggle arms used in attacks against the police and army.

Since Egypt's military ousted Morsi in 2013, the authorities have accused Hamas of aiding the jihadists.

Egypt's military says it has destroyed more than 1 600 tunnels since Morsi's ouster.

Hamas 'has conducted attacks'

In the ruling, the judge said "the documents submitted by the plaintiff to the court showed that the organisation has conducted attacks... that targeted the military and the Egyptian police and facilities."

There was no immediate reaction from the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades itself, but a source close to the militant group said "Egypt is no longer a mediator between us and the Israeli occupier".

Despite worsening relations between Hamas and Sisi, the former army chief and architect of Morsi's fall, Cairo has been mediating between Hamas and Israel, including during last summer's war in Gaza.

Hamas, meanwhile, denounced the Egyptian ruling as "a dangerous political decision that serves the interests of the occupier," referring to Israel.

In early January, Egypt began work on doubling the width of a buffer zone along the border with Gaza to prevent militants infiltrating from the enclave.

The buffer zone was created following a suicide bombing on 24 October that killed 30 Egyptian soldiers and wounded scores.

After that incident, Cairo declared a three-month state of emergency in parts of North Sinai, a remote but strategic region bordering Israel and Gaza.

Last week the decree was extended by three months.

On Thursday militant attacks, including a car bombing, claimed by the Egyptian affiliate of the Islamic State (ISIS) group left at least 30 people dead in North Sinai.

And on Friday, an interior ministry employee was shot dead in his home in the provincial capital El-Arish, officials said.

Jihadists in the Sinai have killed scores of policemen and soldiers since Morsi's overthrow, vowing revenge against a crackdown on his supporters that has killed more than 1 400 people.

Last March, Cairo banned and outlawed Hamas operations on Egyptian soil, ordering the freezing of its assets.



Read more on:    hamas  |  isis  |  abdel fattah al-sisi  |  egypt  |  north africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.