Foreigners die as gunmen storm Tripoli hotel

2015-01-27 17:10
The Corinthia Hotel in the Libyan capital. (Mahmud, AFP)

The Corinthia Hotel in the Libyan capital. (Mahmud, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Tripoli - At least eight people, including five foreigners, were killed when gunmen stormed a luxury hotel in the Libyan capital Tripoli on Tuesday, a local security official said.

It was not immediately clear who staged the attack, but the SITE monitoring service said a militant group claiming affiliation with Islamic State (ISIS) had claimed responsibility. ISIS has seized swathes of Syrian and Iraqi territory.

Gunfire could be heard inside the Corinthia Hotel, Tripoli's most prominent hotel where government officials and foreign delegations often stay. There were conflicting reports about the exact number and the identity of those killed as the gunmen battled security forces.

"Eight people were killed during the storming of the hotel... Five foreigners, two of them are women. [Also] one security man and two of the attackers," Mahmoud Hamza of the Tripoli security force told local al-Naba television.

Earlier officials said three security guards had been killed in a car bomb blast just before the gunmen stormed the hotel. It was not immediately clear whether the three were among the eight deaths reported by Hamza or were additional casualties.

Hamza did not give the nationality of the foreigners killed. Other officials gave conflicting accounts of whether any foreign nationals had been killed in the attack.

Most foreign governments closed their embassies and pulled their staff out of Tripoli after fighting between two rival factions erupted last summer. But some diplomats, business and trade delegations still visit the capital.

Libya is mired in conflict between two rival governments - an internationally recognised one based in eastern Libya and a rival administration set up in Tripoli after an armed faction called Libya Dawn took over the capital.

A second official of the Tripoli security force, Omar Khadrwai, told local television the prime minister of the Tripoli-based administration as well as three foreign nationals had been evacuated from the hotel.

Citing social media, the SITE monitoring service said the attack was revenge for the death of Abu Anas al-Liby, a suspected al-Qaeda member accused of helping plan the 1998 bombings of the US embassies in Tanzania and Kenya.

Liby died in a New York hospital this month ahead of his scheduled trial.

Read more on:    isis  |  libya  |  north africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.