G-Bissau accuses Portugal of 'coup bid'

2012-10-22 10:22

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Bissau - Guinea-Bissau has accused Portugal, the Community of Portuguese Language Countries (CPLP) and a former prime minister of backing a coup bid after a gun battle that claimed at least seven lives.

Gunmen staged a pre-dawn raid on the barracks of an elite army unit near the capital's airport, sparking a firefight in the latest unrest to blight the chronically unstable country.

Witnesses said the raid had been led by Captain Pansau N'Tchama, the head of a commando unit that assassinated president Joao Bernardo Vieira in 2009.

It was not immediately clear why N'Tchama might have carried out the assault, but the captain is a former associate of the government overthrown in a 12 April coup.

That coup toppled the government of Carlos Gomes Junior, interrupting a presidential election between the first and second rounds, which he was leading after the first round.

"The government considers Portugal, the CPLP and Carlos Gomes Junior as the instigators of this attempt at destabilisation," said a statement read out by Communications Minister Fernando Vaz.

Its aim had been to overthrow the transitional government, undermine the political process, bring Gomes Junior back to power and justify an international "stabilisation" force, the statement added.

In Sunday's raid, the gunmen launched an assault on the "red beret" barracks at about 04:00.

The soldiers there fought off the attack after about an hour of fighting, forcing the assailants to flee, witnesses said.

N'Tchama is a former member of the "red berets" and returned last week from Portugal, where he had been undergoing military training since July 2009, security sources said.

An AFP journalist at the scene saw the corpses of six attackers. One soldier said that a sentry at the barracks had also been killed by N'Tchama himself.

International community

A military source confirmed the attack but would not say whether there had been any casualties among the troops at the barracks.

In the hours after the raid army vehicles criss-crossed Bissau, although the situation in the capital remained calm.

Troops and police were also out in force at the airport and in the area leading to the capital.

Army chief-of-staff General Antonio Indjai, who led the April coup, visited the barracks after Sunday's attack, as well as army headquarters in central Bissau.

Following the April coup his junta ostensibly handed power to a transitional government. But the coup leaders remain influential: it was they who chose Manuel Serifo Nhamadjo for the role of interim president.

In a speech last month however, Nhamadjo insisted that his government was "not under the army's orders, either in form or substance". He called on the international community to back the fight against drug-trafficking and help organise elections in 2013.

The country's instability has allowed drug traffickers operating between South America and Europe to make it a hub for their activities in recent years, with senior military officers believed to be involved in the trafficking.

After the April coup the European Union, the country's chief trading partner, suspended aid and imposed sanctions on a number of military officers, including Indjai.

But the West African bloc Ecowas has recognised the transitional administration.

Since independence from Portugal in 1974, the army and state in the nation of 1.6 million people have remained in constant conflict.

No president has ever completed a full term in office.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    ecowas  |  guinea bissau  |  west africa  |  coups

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

Lood leads heavy Bok assault
Hosts England crash out of RWC
Cotter takes loss on the chin
'Basic' Bok plan worked well
Traffic Alerts

Spontaneity is the order of the day. Let go and have some fun. Try not to set too many set plans and expectations and enjoy the...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.