Guinea-Bissau candidates condemn coup

2012-04-16 18:46

Bissau - Five candidates who took part in Guinea-Bissau's aborted presidential election, including top opposition leader Kumba Yala, on Monday condemned last week's military coup.

"We firmly condemn the April 12 military uprising and demand the quick return of constitutional order," said ex-president Yala, who came second in first-round presidential voting on March 18 behind then-prime minister Carlos Gomes Junior, who is currently being held by the coup leaders.

All five rejected the result of the first round, including Henrique Rosa, who said none of them would participate in the National Transitional Council that the military and some opposition parties announced would lead the country after the coup.

"We are democrats. As a matter of ethics and political coherence, we will not participate in the NTC," Rosa told journalists.

The coup came two weeks before the second round of the presidential vote, which would have seen Gomes Junior face off against Yala.

Yala, who said there had been "massive fraud" in the first round, and four other candidates had already said they would not take part in the second round.

The boycott had raised fears of unrest in the country of 1.6 million people, which has a history of military coups and has become a hub in the drug trade between South America and Europe.

The Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries (CPLP) had voiced concern after the coup that the five candidates who boycotted the polls may have played a part in overthrowing the government, saying they should be prosecuted by the International Criminal Court if their involvement could be proved.

Yala rejected that allegation on Monday.

"We are shocked by [the coup] and equally shocked by the violence of the statement released by the presidency of the CPLP on the events of April 12, and above all by the link they drew between the five candidates and the military uprising," he told the press conference.

The statement came after Guinea-Bissau's new junta accepted an offer from East Timor's outgoing president, Nobel Peace Prize-winner Jose Ramos-Horta, to act as a mediator in the crisis, according to his advisor.

Read more on:    kumba yala  |  carlos gomes junior  |  west africa  |  coups

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.