Guinea closes borders

2010-11-27 22:06

Conakry - Guinea's interim leader said on Saturday the country's borders had been closed, 10 days after a state of emergency was imposed until the release of final presidential election results.

"From today, November 27, all land, sea and river borders of the Republic of Guinea are closed for immigration, on the entire national territory and until further notice," said a statement by interim Prime Minister Jean Marie Dore read on state radio.

"No emigration is authorised without special agreement by the authorities," it added.

No further details were given.

Guinea imposed a state of emergency on November 17 after post-election violence that left at least seven people dead in three days.

The proclamation of provisional results declaring opposition leader Alpha Conde the victor angered supporters of defeated candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo.

The state of emergency was to be lifted once final results are announced by the supreme court - at the latest on Thursday.

Guinea's interim president General Sekouba Konate meanwhile dismissed deputy armed forces chief Aboubakar Sidiki Camara, but no reason was given in a radio announcement.

Konate is currently on a private visit in Morocco for health reasons and was expected to return to Guinea on Tuesday.