Guinea govt meets opposition leader ahead of protests

2015-04-20 08:34
(File, WHO)

(File, WHO)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Conakry - A Guinean government delegation has met opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo at his home for talks, ahead of fresh protests due Monday calling for a disputed electoral timetable to be scrapped.

A statement released on Sunday by the delegation, headed by justice minister Cheick Sako, said their first meeting in almost 18 months had "re-launched a dialogue" with former prime minister Diallo.

"This step was intended to reiterate to the opposition the government's willingness to revive the dialogue [which is] the only route that ends with a calmer political climate and inclusive elections," the statement said.

Diallo confirmed he had received the group of senior officials but emphasised that cancelling protests planned for Monday was "out of the question" without the guaranteed implementation of a 2013 agreement stipulating that local elections take place before a presidential contest.

The protesters were due to march on the headquarters of Guinea's national electoral commission on Monday.

Electoral timetable

Supporters of Diallo's Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea have rallied in recent days over the electoral timetable, which they claim has been pushed through without consultation and gives the ruling party an unfair advantage.

They are also angry about the fragile security situation in the west African nation, which they blame on President Alpha Conde's regime.

Hundreds of youths hurled stones at police who responded with tear gas and warning shots in two days of violence on April 13 and 14, bringing traffic to a standstill on a main highway into central Conakry, Guinea's capital.

The opposition said three people were killed, including an unidentified young girl, and 50 wounded - at least 12 by gunfire - during the clashes. The government put the number of dead at two with "dozens" injured.

The meeting between Diallo and the delegation took place just hours after the funeral of one of the opposition protesters killed last week.

The opposition has accused Conde of using the Ebola epidemic as an excuse to postpone voting and has called on supporters to back its demand to bring forward local elections due in March next year.

Read more on:    guinea  |  west africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.