Guinea junta dismisses claims
Conakry - Guinea's ruling junta said on Thursday it did not suspect "any foreign powers" over the assassination attempt on its leader last week, against claims by one minister that "French services" could be involved.
"The National Council for Democracy and Development and the government do not suspect, and even less point the finger at any foreign power, because everyone knows who is responsible, even if he is still at large", Foreign Minister Alexandre Cece Loua said to diplomats and journalists in Conakry.
He spoke after statements made to different media by junta spokesperson Idrissa Chreif, who accused "French services" of having tried to "prepare a coup d'etat" in Guinea.
The junta's leader, Captain Moussa Dadis Camara, was shot in the head by an aide on December 3. He was flown to Rabat and operated on the following day.
A Moroccan source said on Friday on condition of anonymity, that Camara was "conscious and talking slowly to his visitors. His attitude is normal", adding he would remain in hospital "for a few more days".
The French foreign ministry dismissed the claims by Chreif as "absurd rumours" and said "there is no time to lose with sterile polemics...the priority is with elections", due to be held next year.
Guinea's foreign minister also said the junta and the government were committed to the negotiation talks to be held in Ouagadougou on Sunday, "to get out of this crisis rapidly".
Earlier in the week another minister had said the junta was "suspending" all negotiations "until the return" of Camara.