Guinea lifts media gag on Conde attack

2011-07-29 20:02
Conakry - Guinea's National Council on Communication (CNC) has lifted a media ban on reports concerning a rocket attack on the residence of President Alpha Conde in Conakry, the body's chief said.

"I ordered the lifting of the ban which affected all media, private and public, regarding the attack on the residence of the head of state in consultation with press representatives," CNC president Martine Conde told AFP late Thursday.

According to Conde, the ban was lifted "in the framework of the call for peace issued by the head of state" shortly after the attack on July 19. President Conde was unhurt in the attack by armed men in military uniform, but a presidential guard was killed and two wounded.

The CNC on July 25 decided on a "temporary suspension of any broadcast or article relating to the atttempt on the life of the head of state", including on media in French.

France is the former colonial power in the troubled west African country, which has seen several coup bids.

Martine Conde denied that the CNC lifted the ban as a response to external pressure, describing it as a "sovereign decision. We wanted to avoid excesses, because many people complained to us".

The ban had been denounced by Guinean press associations, who issued a statement calling it a "flagrant violation of the constitution, which upholds the freedom of the press among basic liberties".

On Thursday, France urged the Guinean leader to repeal the ban. Foreign ministry spokesman Bernard Valero said, "This ban is a serious breach of freedom of expression. We ask President Conde to reconsider this decision in his role as guardian of freedom in Guinea".

Since the attack, 25 soldiers and 13 civilians have been arrested, according to the ministry of justice. Legal proceedings have been opened by the Conakry prosecutor on charges including "an attempt to assassinate the head of state".

One judicial source said that a first group of six people accused of taking part in the attack or being connected to it appeared on Wednesday before a court in the capital.

Read more on:    alpha conde  |  guinea  |  west africa

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/News
 

US biker deaths down: What's the secret?

Motorcycle deaths are on track to decline for a second year in the US thanks to a so far - on bikes - little-used road safety accessory.

 

Stay safe

US biker deaths down: What's the secret?
Pro's and con's of accredited driver-training
Juvenile pillion riders? Play safe...
Need a family ride? SA's top Mommy Cars
Traffic Alerts
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

The right brain is emphasised today and it is easy for you to fly into the world of imagination and fantasy with ease. You may...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.