Guinea opposition confirms participation in presidential vote

2015-10-07 10:24
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Conakry - Guinea's opposition candidates said on Tuesday they would participate in the first round of the October 11 presidential election, while cautioning that "dysfunctional" aspects of the voting process must be addressed.

The country's main opposition had called on Thursday for the vote to be postponed until later in October to allow the election commission time to correct "anomalies" in the electoral roll.

Clashes between supporters of Guinea's ruling party and opposition activists left at least one dead and more than 80 wounded last week, as tension mounted ahead of the presidential election.

But with five days to go, Aliou Conde, a representative of opposition presidential candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo, told a press conference: "We are not going to boycott the election with all the commitments we have made. What we hope for are free and transparent elections, and above all credible so that the results will be accepted by everyone."

Conde added he was speaking on behalf of all seven opposition candidates competing against President Alpha Conde, who is hoping to win a second term in power following his 2010 election.

'Seriously dysfunctional' election system

Six of the seven candidates were present at the press conference.

The spokesperson then hit out at a "seriously dysfunctional" election system, containing what he called "a large number of anomalies that could influence the fairness of the vote".

Beyond irregularities in the electoral roll, opposition figures have criticised the geographical layout of voting booths, "anarchic" distribution of voting cards, the registration of voters far from their place of residence, and the authorisation of proxy voting despite their call to ban it.

The ruling party and opposition last month sealed a deal on the organisation of the vote, raising hopes it would pass off peacefully, but opposition parties say Conde has reneged on that agreement.

Last month a European Union observation mission deployed the first group drawn from 70 observers who will oversee the nationwide elections.

Guinea sits on vast mineral wealth but decades of misrule and corruption followed independence from France in 1958, and the country has been ruled by a series of strongmen.

Read more on:    guinea  |  west africa  |  guinea elections 2015

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.