Guinea troops used excessive force - HRW

2010-11-30 22:48

Conakry - An international rights group said on Tuesday that Guinea's security forces used excessive force and did not show neutrality in responding to post-election violence in the capital earlier this month.

Human Rights Watch said that at least seven people died and more than 200 were injured in the mid-November clashes.

They said security forces had targeted members of the Peul ethnic group. The Peul had supported the losing candidate, fellow Peul Cellou Dalein Diallo.

The mostly Malinke security forces belong to the ethnicity of the race's declared winner, Alpha Conde.

The New York-based group called on Conde to protect rights and seek justice.

The elections, held on November 7, were considered to be the nation's first democratic vote following 52 years of dictatorship, but it had been clouded by ethnic tensions.