Guinea's Conde declares victory

2010-11-15 13:39

Dakar - Veteran Guinean opponent Alpha Conde on Monday declared himself the winner of the country's presidential election at a press conference in the capital Conakry.

"I know I have won," said Conde, who faced off against former prime minister Cellou Dallein Diallo in the second round vote on November 07.

"I have won four out of five districts in Conakry, all of the Lower Guinea prefectures except for Boke, all of the Forest prefectures and Upper Guinea. How could I not win?" he added.

He said the Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI) "must publish the results on Monday and meet its deadlines".

While results should have been published last Wednesday, the electoral body promised to publish them by midday on Monday after a delay.

Commission chairperson Siaka Sangare on Sunday said he had received Diallo's complaints but added: "I sincerely believe that we have treated all claims with the maximum attention."

Diallo said he would not accept provisional results if they were announced on Monday.

It was critical that the electoral commission fully examine what he described as "massive fraud at all levels", he said.

Partial results published so far put Diallo and Conde neck and neck in the crucial vote which aims to end 52 years of dictatorship and military rule in the west African country.