HRW chiefs denied entry to Egypt - staff

2014-08-11 09:47
Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch. (John MacDougall, AFP)

Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch. (John MacDougall, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cairo - The executive director of Human Rights Watch and another senior staff member were denied entry to Egypt for "security reasons" after being held at the Cairo airport for 12 hours, two of the group's staff said on Monday.

Kenneth Roth and Sarah Leah Whitson had flown to Cairo to take part in publication of a report to be released on Tuesday on the mass killings of protesters by security forces last year, in the aftermath of then-army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi's ousting of elected Islamist President Mohammed Morsi.

Human Rights Watch is one of a number of international and Egyptian rights groups that have expressed alarm at a severe and increasingly broad crackdown on dissent by authorities since the army's overthrow of Morsi in July 2013.

Whitson, the head of the Middle East and North Africa division at Human Rights Watch, tweeted on Monday morning that she had been held for 12 hours before being deported for "security reasons".

Omar Shakir, author and principle researcher of the group's report on the mass killings, confirmed to Reuters that Roth and Whitson had been denied entry after landing in Cairo and being held by authorities since Sunday night. He said Whitson had left the country and Roth would be leaving on a separate flight later in the morning.

Government officials were not immediately available for comment. The government has said before it is fighting a war on terror, and it makes no distinction between the thousands of Islamists it has arrested and the hard-line militants targeting security forces in the Sinai Peninsula.

Shakir told Reuters that the New York-based rights group had already shared the key findings of the 188-page report, based on a year-long investigation, but had received no official response.

Reuters on Sunday requested government comment on the findings and recommendations of the report before its scheduled release. An official said that the government would comment once the report was published.

Read more on:    hrw  |  mohammed morsi  |  abdel fattah al-sisi  |  egypt  |  north africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.