Hagel holds talks with Egyptian army chief

2013-09-18 07:53
US Secretary of Defence Chuck Hagel. (File, AP)

US Secretary of Defence Chuck Hagel. (File, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Washington - US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel urged Egypt's interim authorities to "advance the political roadmap" in a phone call with the country's army chief on Tuesday, a Pentagon spokesperson said.

Hagel and General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi also discussed Egypt's efforts "to maintain security" on the Sinai peninsula and "to secure and rebuild Coptic Christian communities" hit by violence, Pentagon press secretary George Little said in a statement.

Hagel "urged Minister Al-Sisi to continue to take steps to demonstrate the interim government's commitment to advance the political roadmap," he said.

Relations between Washington and Cairo have come under strain since Sisi led a 3 July coup against President Mohammed Morsi, the country's first elected leader, followed by a violent crackdown against his supporters in the Muslim Brotherhood.

Hagel's phone conversation came after the United States last week renewed calls for Egypt to lift a state of emergency in force since August, and amid more arrests of Morsi supporters.

Since Morsi's overthrow by the army in July and his detention, more than 2,000 members of the Brotherhood have been arrested and several are facing trial.

Churches, shops and schools belonging to Coptic Christians meanwhile have come under attack in recent weeks by Morsi loyalists, who accuse the Christian community of backing the military that toppled the head of state.

And in the Sinai, the Egyptian military has poured in troops and armor to counter an insurgency that surged after Morsi's overthrow.

Throughout the crisis and despite tensions with Cairo, the US defence secretary has maintained regular contact with Sisi, partly as a result of America's deep ties to Egypt's military dating back decades.

Washington has cancelled military exercises with Cairo and delayed the delivery of fighter jets since Morsi's ouster.

However, the US government has yet to cut off military and economic aid, worth $1.55bn a year, though officials say the issue is still under review.

Read more on:    muslim brotherhood  |  chuck hagel  |  mohammed morsi  |  abdel fattah al-sisi  |  us  |  egypt  |  north africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.