ICC: 20 victims leave case against Ruto

2013-11-15 08:59
Deputy President William Ruto. (AFP)

Deputy President William Ruto. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The Hague - A group of 20 victims of post-election violence that rocked Kenya almost six years ago have withdrawn from The Hague-based case against Vice President William Ruto, the International Criminal Court said on Thursday.

"It is clear that 20 individuals...," told their lawyer before the ICC "that they no longer wish to continue participating in the present proceedings," the court's judges said.

They added: "The decision to withdraw could have been motivated by a range of factors including security concerns."

The court's confirmation comes after it received a letter in early June by 93 victims who allegedly said they wanted to stop participation in the two Kenyan cases before the ICC.

Ruto and Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta are both charged with crimes against humanity in connection with 2007-8 post-poll violence that left over 1 000 people dead and several hundred thousand displaced.

Ruto went on trial in September, becoming the highest-ranking serving official to do so before the ICC.

Kenyatta's trial was due to start on Tuesday, but has now been postponed to February.

In the letter dated 5 June, the 93 victims of violence in Turbo town in western Kenya said they no longer wish to take part in the trial.

At least four people were murdered in Turbo as a result of the attacks in late 2007, the court heard previously.

Of the 93, 47 were victims in the Ruto trial.

Seven victims changed their minds after the letter was written and will now continue to be represented in the case.

Twenty other victims could not be contacted and were therefore considered to still be taking part, the judges added.

In all, some 628 victims are scheduled to have their case represented before the court by their Kenyan lawyer Wilfred Nderitu, said ICC spokesperson Fadi El Abdallah.

Ruto, 46, and Kenyan radio boss Joshua arap Sang, 38, stand accused of stoking the worst violence in the east African country since independence in 1963.

The ICC, the world's first independent court set up to try the worst crimes, allows victims to take part in trials independent from the prosecution or the defence.

 




Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.