ICC confirms charges against 4 top Kenyans
The Hague - Two leading Kenyan presidential candidates are among four officials the International Criminal Court ruled on Monday should face trial over deadly post-election violence four years ago.
"After having thoroughly examined all the evidence presented by the prosecution, the chamber decided to confirm the charges against four of the six suspects," ICC presiding judge Ekaterina Trendafilova said.
"The chamber found that there are substantial grounds to believe Mr [William] Ruto is responsible as an indirect perpetrator of the crimes," she said before a public hearing held in The Hague.
She also said charges against Uhuru Kenyatta, finance minister and son of Kenya's founding president, had been confirmed.
Both Ruto and Kenyatta were seen as leading challengers to Prime Minister Raila Odinga in the next presidential election, which is due to be held by March 2013 at the latest.