ICC rejects request over Gaddafi's son
Amsterdam - The International Criminal Court (ICC) on Wednesday rejected Libya's request to postpone the surrender of Seif al-Islam Gaddafi, the most prominent son of the country's former leader, to face war crimes charges.
The Hague-based court ordered Tripoli to "comply with its obligations to enforce the warrant of arrest" and surrender him into the court's custody without delay.
It issued a warrant for Seif al-Islam in June, after prosecutors accused him and others of involvement in the killing of protesters during the revolt that eventually toppled his father, Muammar Gaddafi, in August.
But Libya has so far refused to hand him over, saying the once swaggering Gaddafi son should face justice at home.
The ICC says it has jurisdiction over the case because it issued warrants last year for the arrest of Muammar Gaddafi, Saif al-Islam, and the Libyan leader's intelligence chief, Abdullah al-Senoussi who was arrested in Mauritania last month.
A UN Security Council Resolution obliges Libya to co-operate with the court, the ICC says, and Tripoli's failure to hand Seif al-Islam over could result in it being reported to the Council.
He faces the death penalty if found guilty by a Libyan court, but only a prison term if convicted by the ICC.
Seif al-Islam's supporters say they doubt he will be given a fair trial in Libya and would prefer him to be tried by the ICC in The Hague.
Since the elder Gaddafi was killed after being captured alive by rebel fighters, competing militias have yet to lay down their arms. Western human rights organisations have accused them of carrying out numerous extra-judicial executions and other abuses, raising questions about the rule of law there.
New York-based Human Rights Watch also believes Seif al-Islam would receive a fairer and safer trial in the Netherlands.