ICC trial of Congo's 'Terminator' set to start

2015-06-16 21:29
Rwandan-born warlord Bosco Ntaganda at appears at the ICC charged with war crimes and crimes against humanity in a hearing at The Hague, Netherlands. (Toussaint Kluiters, AFP)

Rwandan-born warlord Bosco Ntaganda at appears at the ICC charged with war crimes and crimes against humanity in a hearing at The Hague, Netherlands. (Toussaint Kluiters, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The Hague - The war crimes trial of Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) former warlord Bosco Ntaganda, nicknamed "The Terminator", will open on July 7 in The Hague, the International Criminal Court (ICC) said on Tuesday.

Opening statements would be held on July 7 and 8, with a possibility of extension, the ICC said.

Ntaganda, the feared ex-general with a penchant for cowboy hats, pencil moustaches and fine dining, faces 18 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

The charges centre around the violence in the northern Ituri region of the DRC in 2002 and 2003 - when Ntaganda was leader of the Patriotic Forces for the Liberation of Congo.

The former warlord is accused of atrocities such as raping child and women soldiers and keeping them as sex slaves.

Ntaganda was also the founder of the M23 rebel group, which was defeated by UN-backed government troops in November of 2013 in the mineral-rich Kivu region of the DRC.

Fighting in the country, exacerbated by the mineral wealth in the region, has killed more than 60 000 people since 1999.

Ntaganda is the first suspect to voluntarily surrender to the ICC. In March 2013, he walked into the US embassy in Rwanda and asked to be sent to The Hague.

A panel of ICC judges had recommended in March that the trial's opening statements be held in the city of Bunia in the DRC's northeast, in order to bring proceedings closer to the victims.

But the court said on Monday that "concerns over witnesses and victims' safety and well-being, as well as the security of the local communities involved", had been an important factor in deciding to hold the opening proceedings in The Hague instead.

Read more on:    international criminal court  |  bosco ntaganda  |  drc  |  central africa  |  human rights

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
12 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.