ISIS claims deadly attack on Tunis museum

2015-03-20 06:00
A wounded person is evacuated on a stretcher from the site of an attack carried out by two gunmen at Tunis' famed Bardo Museum. (Salah Habibi, AFP)

A wounded person is evacuated on a stretcher from the site of an attack carried out by two gunmen at Tunis' famed Bardo Museum. (Salah Habibi, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Tunis - The Islamic State jihadist group (ISIS) claimed responsibility on Thursday for an attack on foreign tourists at Tunisia's national museum that killed 21 people, as the security forces swooped on suspects.

The authorities said they had identified the two dead gunmen behind Wednesday's assault, which prompted calls for a show of national unity against extremism in the birthplace of the Arab Spring.

In an audio message posted online, ISIS said that "two knights from the Islamic State... heavily armed with automatic weapons and grenades, targeted the Bardo Museum" in the capital.

The group, which has hundreds of Tunisians among its ranks, threatened more attacks, saying: "What you have seen is only the start."

Authorities say as many as 3 000 Tunisians have gone to Iraq, Syria and Libya to fight in jihadist ranks, raising fears of battle-hardened militants returning home to plot attacks.

Around 200 demonstrators gathered on Thursday outside the museum where the attack killed 20 foreigners and at least one Tunisian, chanting "Terrorism Out" and laying down flowers at the entrance.

The president's office said security forces arrested "four people directly linked to the (terrorist) operation and five suspected of having ties to the cell".

The presidency said soldiers are to be deployed in major cities following the museum assault, but "we are not under siege", a presidential source said.

As international outrage grew over Tunisia's worst post-revolution attack, President Beji Caid Essebsi vowed to fight extremists "without mercy to our last breath".

The leader of the Islamist opposition party Ennahda, Rached Ghannouchi, said he was convinced that "the Tunisian people will stay united in the face of barbarity".

Appeals for unity

The media also called for solidarity, with newspaper La Presse appealing for "total unity and a sense of responsibility shared by all".

Panic had broken out as gunmen in military uniforms opened fire at visitors as they got off a bus and then chased them inside the museum.

The dead included three Japanese, two Spaniards, a Colombian, an Australian, a British woman, a Belgian woman, two French, a Pole and an Italian, Health Minister Said Aidi said.

Dozens more people were wounded in the assault, in a massive blow to Tunisia's heavily tourism-dependent economy.

At least two major cruise ship operators suspended stopovers in Tunis following the attack.

After cowering in fear in the museum during the night, two Spanish tourists were discovered alive and well, officials said.

The government, in a show of defiance, said the National Bardo Museum would reopen early next week.

But in a sign of rising tensions, police encircled the national radio headquarters on Thursday as a "precautionary measure" following "terrorist threats", said its head, Abderrazak Tabib.

Prime Minister Habib Essid named the two gunmen killed by security forces at the museum as Yassine Abidi and Hatem Khachnaoui.

He said Abidi was known to the police.

Tunisia has seen an upsurge in Islamist extremism since the 2011 revolution that ousted longtime strongman Zine El Abidine Ben Ali and sparked the Arab Spring uprisings around the region.

The museum assailants were "probably" Tunisian, the interior ministry said.

Cruise ships diverted

Nine of the slain tourists were from the MSC Splendida cruise ship, whose owners said a special psychology unit had been set up for passengers.

MSC Cruises and Italian operator Costa Crociere said they would divert cruise ships which had been due to berth in Tunis.

Italy's Defence Minister Roberta Pinotti said her country will increase its military presence in the central Mediterranean, "following a worsening of the terrorist threat, dramatically demonstrated by yesterday's events in Tunisia".

The attack was the worst on foreigners in Tunisia since an Al-Qaeda suicide bombing of a synagogue killed 21 people on the island of Djerba in 2002.

It sparked local outrage, with hundreds of people gathering within hours in a major thoroughfare of the capital, singing the national anthem and shouting slogans against the attackers, labelling them terrorists.

US Secretary of State John Kerry denounced the "wanton violence".

British Prime Minister David Cameron said he was "appalled" by the attack and French President Francois Hollande expressed "solidarity".

Run Run

A Japanese survivor described how she and her mother were shot in the hail of bullets.

"I was crouching down with my arms over my head, but I was shot in the ear, hand and neck," 35-year-old Noriko Yuki said from her hospital bed in comments aired by Japanese broadcaster NHK.

"My mother beside me was shot in the neck."

Museum employee Dhouha Belhaj Alaya said she heard "intense gunfire" around noon.

"My co-workers were screaming 'Run! Run! Shots are being fired!'" she told AFP. "We escaped out the back door with co-workers and some tourists."

Tunisia has taken pride in forming a democratic government and achieving stability since the Arab Spring - in marked contrast to countries such as Egypt and Libya.

But dozens of police and military personnel have been killed or wounded in attacks blamed on Islamist militants.

Read more on:    msc  |  boko haram  |  costa crociere  |  tunisia attack

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
56 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.