Jonathan vows to unearth bombers
Abuja - Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday vowed that all will be done to unearth those behind last week's independence day bomb attacks in the capital Abuja that killed 12 people.
"Mr President reassured cabinet members that the security agencies will do everything possible to fish out the perpetrators of the car bombing incident," Information Minister Dora Akunyili said after a weekly cabinet meeting.
Responsibility for the attacks which took place a few hundred metres from an independence parade, was claimed by Mend, a militant group operating in the oil-rich Niger Delta.
However, Jonathan has blamed the attacks on "a small terrorist group that resides outside Nigeria that was paid by some people".
Henry Okah, the former leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (Mend) was arrested in South Africa, where he lives, a day after the blasts.
Nine suspects, said to be linked to Okah, have been arrested in Nigeria.
Former military ruler Ibrahim Babangida's campaign chief for next year's presidential elections, Raymond Dokpesi, has also been questioned by state intelligence agents.
Jonathan has met with some former militant leaders who assured him they had no role in Friday's attacks.